clay, me, and chloe v.

clay, me, and chloe v.
tee hee

Friday, April 4, 2008

an unusual spelling word...

Clay had some spelling homework last night. He has spelling every week, but this week one of his spelling words was a word that i had no idea what the meaning was. So we looked it up together on the internet and this is what we found:

MISBEGOTTEN
Adj.
1.
misbegotten - born out of wedlock; "the dominions of both rulers passed away to their spurious or doubtful offspring"- E.A.Freeman
bastardly, misbegot, spurious
illegitimate - of marriages and offspring; not recognized as lawful

The first word that Clay noticed was the word "bastardly". He said, "whoa, mom, thats a swear word!" I told him that the word bastard actually has a meaning and i explained to him what the word meant. He then looked at me as if a light bulb suddenly went off in his head... " So you mean..." clay said with a sly grin on his face, " Im a bastard?" " Yes son, " I said. " Since your dad and I werent married when you were born... technically... you are a bastard." Clay burst out laughing and it made me start laughing too. who would have thought that one of my son's spelling words would reveal this kind of information!!! ha ha ha! After Clay and I were done laughing, he turned to me and said, " So can i say "bastard" now? Since i know what it means?" I had to think about that one for a minute... I mean, I dont really consider it a bad word but i really dont want clay running around telling everyone " Im a bastard! Im a bastard!" So i told him he couldnt say it at school and as long as he used it in context then he could say it once in a while....

3 comments:

Steven Ryan Z said...

That's an awesome story!

Lori Huneke said...

ha ha haa. thats so funny!
i have always wanted to revolutionize the word bastard! i think it should be a good thing
bastard=love child.. i mean..whats so bad about that?
bastards of the world unite! ha haaa.
say hi to your bastard for me and good luck on his story this weekend. lol. i love you!

Unknown said...

that is great! I love it! I love being young with kids and sharing lame things like this that our parents would have been horrified over! I tend to believe that bastard is a VERY old word and Clay is DEFINATELY NOT a bastard. He is a gift from God. Maybe if we lived in 1930 it would apply, but we are far more advanced than to believe in such rubbish!